The Philips Hue Play Bar is an attractive lighting option that can enrich your movie, music or gaming experience.
But if, for some reason, you are seeking an alternative to these smart lights, you’ll be in for a hard time. There are numerous options on the market, all of which can seem like worthy substitutes for the Hue Play Bar.
So, if you are not so savvy in these matters, you might find it challenging to select the best one. That’s why we have compiled a list of the nine best alternatives to the Philips Hue Play Bar that you can choose from.
So, let’s dive in!
- 1 Quick Summary
- 2 Top 9 Philips Hue Play Bar Alternatives
- 2.1 1. Philips Hue Gradient Lightstrip
- 2.2 2. Sengled Smart LED Light Bars
- 2.3 3. Zuukoo Light Smart LED Light Bars
- 2.4 4. AOSEE RGBWW Ambiance Lighting
- 2.5 5. Philips Hue Iris
- 2.6 6. Nanoleaf Shapes Hexagon Starter Kit
- 2.7 7. Corsair iCue LT100 Smart Lighting Towers
- 2.8 8. Magiacous Smart Light Bars
- 2.9 9. Philips Hue Signe
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Words
- Philips Hue Gradient Lightstrip
- Sengled Smart LED Light Bars
- Zuukoo Light Smart LED Light Bars
- AOSEE RGBWW Ambiance Lighting
- Philips Hue Iris
- Nanoleaf Shapes Hexagon Starter Kit
- Corsair iCue LT100 Smart Lighting Towers
- Magiacous Smart Light Bars
- Philips Hue Signe
Top 9 Philips Hue Play Bar Alternatives
- Seamlessly Blend Colours - Discover a blend of multiple colours in a single LED lightstrip. Colours flow together naturally, painting the wall with colourful...
- What's Required? - A 'Philips Hue Bridge' and 'Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box' (sold separately) are required for surround lighting control
- Easy Installation - The Philips Hue Play gradient lightstrip is specially designed to fit your 55 Inch TV with included mounting brackets to make installation...
Philips is a brand that is hard to top when it comes to lighting accessories. That is why we have included the Hue Gradient Lightstrip as an alternative for the Philips Hue Play Bar. It comes in the form of a flexible strip instead of a bar, which makes it highly convenient to install.
Compared to the Hue Play Bar, the Hue Gradient Lightstrip is a lot more vibrant. It can produce 16 million colours and has a 45-degree light projection, which is sufficient for lighting up your living room with a dim yet mesmerising glow.
You can get it in three different lengths, as per the size of your TV. The 55-inch option is perfect for 55-60 inch TVs. Subsequently, the 65-inch light strip goes well with TV sizes between 65 and 70 inches. And finally, the 75-inch option is suitable for TVs that are larger than 75 inches.
This light strip has voice control too, which makes it highly convenient. It is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Homekit. If you set it up via a Philips Hue Bridge, you can use it with other smart devices as well. In order to sync the smart lights to your TV or PC, you will need to use a Philips Hue Sync Box.
- Easy to install
- Convenient operation
- Vibrant colours
- Available in different lengths
- Relatively expensive
- Immersive Lighting Experience: The Smart Light Bars unlock a new home theater entertainment experience that easily syncs with your TV audio with 16 million...
- Hands-free Voice Control: Works with Alexa and Google Assistant via Wi-Fi, you can easily control the RGBW light bars: power on/off, change colors, or adjust...
- Sync Your Music: The Sengled Smart LED light bars feature a built-in high sensitivity microphone offering dynamic audio sync and multi-mode support for movies...
Sengled is a well-known brand that makes all kinds of smart lighting solutions. That is why the Sengled Smart LED Light Bars are the perfect choice for a smart home. It consists of two RGBW light bars that have wi-fi connectivity.
These light bars are a worthy alternative to the Philips Hue Play Bars. The lights are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, which makes them convenient to use. Plus, it comes with 27 presets and can produce 16 million colours.
Thanks to the wi-fi connectivity, configuring the lights is a breeze. With the Sengled Home app, you can customise everything about these lights, such as the colour gradients, frequencies, and so on. It also has a built-in microphone, which can detect ambient music and sounds. This helps to sync the light with music or movies automatically.
The light bars are compact and lightweight, due to which they are convenient to install anywhere. If you wish, you can connect these lights to a PC or gaming console for an immersive gameplay experience.
- Hands-free operation
- Easy to set up
- Highly compact and portable
- Reacts to ambient sounds automatically
- The app to control it is not very user friendly
- ❤️Enhanced Entertainment: These mood lights cleverly add depth of color to your home theater, creating a more impressive entertainment system. Enhance your...
- 🎶Syncs With Music: The smart LED light bars can react and move to the beat of your music, movie, and gaming audio for an immersive sound and light experience...
- 🌫️Multi Dynamic Modes: You can create the atmosphere you need with 16 million colors and 19 dynamic modes preset. Each dynamic mode displays different...
For this review, we bring you another pair of smart light bars to replace the Philips Hue Play Bar. The Smart LED Light Bars by Zuukoo Light are perfectly versatile LED lights for your TV, PC or music system.
These lights are compact RGB lighting bars that can produce a lot of vibrant colours. They come loaded with 19 preset colour modes. Moreover, the colour ambience and depth of these mood lights provide an immersive experience while watching movies, playing games or listening to music.
The smart lights can be controlled with the HappyLighting app. You can easily change colours or control the brightness of these lights through the app. Additionally, the sensitive mic reacts to any sounds to give you an interactive lighting experience.
You also have quite a lot of options for installing this light. If you want, you can place it horizontally by laying it flat on its back or install it vertically with the adhesive footpads. It comes with a mounting bracket with which you can install it along the back of your TV or PC monitor.
- Versatile setup choices
- Easy to control via the app
- Vibrant colours
- Automatically syncs to external sounds
- No voice controls
- 【VOICE CONTROL】This TV Ambiant Lighting is compatible with Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Control this Ambiance light bar via your voice to turn on/off or...
- 【TIMING FUNCTION AND REMOTE CONTROL FROM APP】Downloading the app on your samrtphone or tablet, you can control the Ambiance Light via the app, Even you are...
- 【EASY SET UP】 connect the LED strips to the USB power supply. Simply download the app, connect to Wi-Fi and enjoy! Energy saving A+++ and environmentally...
The RGBWW Ambiance Lighting bars are a very affordable option from the brand AOSEE. Do not be fooled by its price, though, because these lights have smart connectivity options and vibrant colours. These make them one of the best alternatives to the Philips Hue Play Bar.
Setting up these lights is incredibly easy, thanks to the angle bases included with the packaging. You can use them as TV lights or install them on the back of your PC or music system, or gaming console. There are USB cables provided for connecting with these devices.
To control the lights via wi-fi, you will need to install the Smart Life app. There you can control the colours, brightness and timers for these lights. Moreover, the lights are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. So, you can control them via voice commands as well.
These lights have a relatively long operating time of 50,000 hours and are environmentally friendly. Additionally, they can produce 16 million colours, so you have a lot of room for personalisation.
- They can be voice-controlled
- Easy to install
- Long lifespan
- Environmentally friendly
- Erratic wi-fi connectivity
- Enjoy your own personal light show at home, capable of millions of colours and shades of white light, able to sync to your favourite music, movies, and games...
- Designed to create indirect ambient lighting, this light is an ideal way to wall wash with your favourite colours or highlight specific features in your home;...
- Add a Hue Bridge (sold separately) to control with the Philips Hue app. Expand your lighting system with Hue accessories (sold separately) such as a Hue Dimmer...
For this review, we bring you another hue light from Philips that you can use as an alternative to the Hue Play Bar. The Hue Iris is a highly compact light that can be connected to all types of smart home devices.
This light is shaped like a bulb, and they provide indirect ambient lighting to your room. In other words, you should install it towards the wall or any other object, and the light will dissipate throughout the room indirectly through the wall. Such a system provides even lighting throughout the rooms.
It needs a separate Philips Hue Bridge for connecting with other devices. You can connect it with more lights or even with other hue bulbs to produce a light chain. All the bulbs can be synced via the Hue Sync Box, which needs to be purchased separately. With that, you can control the functionality of all the other hue lights from one place.
If you want more convenience, then you’ll be glad to know that the light is compatible with a range of home automation systems. This includes Amazon Echo, Google Home, Apple Homekit and so on.
- Provides uniform lighting
- It can be used with other lights
- Compatible with most home automation systems
- Highly compact
- Not as bright as direct hue lights
- Create Your Own Design A modular lighting experience that allows you to arrange panels into your own custom layout.
- Combine Shapes Designed with Connect to work together with other shapes from the Nanoleaf Shapes line to build stunning lighting mosaics.
- 16M Colors Create the right ambience for any occasion with favorite colors or any shades of white.
Here we have reviewed the Shapes Hexagon Starter Kit lighting by Nanoleaf. This brand is known for its quirky and innovative light designs. These lights are no exception, as they have a flat panel design, where each individual light is hexagon shaped.
There are nine individual lighting panels included with the package. The unique design of these lights allows for a modular lighting setup, where you can arrange the lights in any manner as you please. For instance, you can arrange them in a straight line or a zig-zag pattern.
The lights are easy to install, thanks to the mounting tapes included with the package. You can connect these lights to your PC, TV or music system for an immersive audio-visual experience. They also have a microphone to detect and sync with ambient sounds.
All the features of these lights, such as the colours, brightness and frequencies, can be manually adjusted to create interesting effects. It supports 16 million colours, so there is ample room for personalisation. You can use the Nanoleaf app or simple voice commands to control these settings.
- Modular design
- Easy to install
- Convenient operation
- Highly customisable
- Not very budget-friendly
- Immersive Ambient Lighting: Extend your PC’s RGB lighting, illuminating your environment with diffused colours and intricate lighting effects to create an...
- Integrate with Games and Media: Synchronise your ambient lighting to dynamically match the on-screen action in games, movies, and videos, or turn your room into...
- Everything You Need to Shine: Includes two connected 422 mm-tall towers with 46 customisable LEDs each, an external power supply, a 1.5 m extension cable, and a...
Corsair is a reputed brand that manufactures a wide range of gaming accessories and peripherals. And the brand’s iCue LT100 Smart Lighting Towers are a perfect option to light up your drawing room. It includes two lighting towers that can produce full RGB colours.
If you use these lights in conjunction with a PC or gaming laptop, you can enhance the ambience of the room considerably. They come with USB cables, which makes connecting these lights to your gaming device hassle-free.
It comes with 11 preset lighting profiles for convenience. You can simply connect them to your device, and the lighting pattern will be selected based on these preset profiles. However, the 422-mm tall towers contain 46 independently customisable LEDs. With the help of the iCue software, you can customise the lighting of the towers based on your preferences.
The smart lighting towers come with a 1.5-meter extension cable and an external power supply. So, you can conveniently set it up near your computer. What’s more, you can easily add more towers to create a lighting chain. As a bonus, it includes a removable headset holder, which is highly convenient for intense gaming sessions.
- Highly customisable
- Easy to set up
- Can be connected with more towers to create a chain
- Removable headset holder for convenience
- Cannot be used with a TV
- 【Smart Life APP Control Endless Possibilities】 The RGB light bar use bluetooth to connect with Smart Life APP and start discovering the endless...
- 【Amp Your Entertainment with Multiple Modes】The color-changing desk lamp immerse yourself in your movie, game, or music with the magic of light. RGB mood...
- 【Sync Smoothly with Your Music or Sounds】The light bars light reacts to the beat of your music for an immersive sound experience like no other. This LED...
Magiacous is another popular brand that is known for its unique lighting systems. That is why we have included the brand’s Smart Light Bars in our list. They are a considerably more energy-efficient and cheaper alternative to the Philips Hue Play Bar.
Despite their compact size, they can produce vibrant light from millions of colours. That’s why these light bars are great options for illuminating your gaming setup or entertainment area. Thanks to the magnetic sticks, they can be easily installed behind the PC monitor or TV screen.
In terms of operation, you can control the light features through the EB LinkLite app. The light bars come with nine preset modes, six fixed modes and four music rhythm modes, which makes it a versatile option for any type of music or home cinema. You can create custom modes to match your preferences.
If you wish, you can also set the lights to change automatically based on ambient sounds, which offers more convenience. Besides, the accurate timer functions allow you to control when the lights turn off or on, which helps save electricity.
- Energy efficient
- Highly affordable
- Easy to install
- Convenient operation
- Poor build quality
- What's Required? - Nothing This product works out of the box with the free ‘Philips Hue Bluetooth’ app. Simply plug in your new Hue Signe and connect to the...
- Get Started In No Time - With no complex installation required you can start controlling your smart LED lights straight out of the box with your smart device or...
- Style With Colour - Choose from 16 million colours to create an ambiance that suits any mood. Play with colour to create the perfect ambiance for film nights,...
For the next product, we have yet another light from Philips, which you can use in place of the Hue Play Bar. Interestingly, the Hue Signe is twice as bright as the Hue Play Bar, which makes it a very effective lighting option for your home.
This light is more akin to a conventional table lamp, due to which you don’t need to install it separately. You can just take it out of the box, plug it into a wall outlet and start using it.
Moving on, the light has Bluetooth connectivity, which makes it easy to control. It is also compatible with other smart devices, such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Homekit. Through them, you get hands-free control of this light from anywhere in your home.
You can increase the connectivity of this light with the help of a Hue Bridge, which you need to purchase separately. That will allow you to link it up with other lights so that you can illuminate the entire home. Not only that, you can set timers and sync the product with your TV or music system as well.
- No installation required
- It can be voice-controlled
- Has Bluetooth connectivity
- Provides bright illumination
- Can get knocked over easily
If you have been using the Hue Play Bar for a while, you may have a hard time getting it replaced. There are numerous alternatives on the market today, but not all of them are as good as the Hue Play Bar. So, here we have discussed some crucial pointers to consider while you search for the best Philips Hue Play Bar alternatives.
1. Connectivity Options
Another aspect to consider is the connectivity of the lights. The Hue Play Bar uses the Hue Bridge to connect with other lights and smart devices. It is also compatible with smart systems such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
To get similar levels of convenience, you need to ensure that the alternative has these connectivity options. Furthermore, if they do not require a Bridge and can be connected with an app using wi-fi or Bluetooth, that is an advantage. The Hue Bridge is often needed to be purchased and installed separately, which can be a hassle.
An alternative to the Hue Play Bar needs to be highly customisable, or else it will not be a worthy replacement. It needs to have different colour presets and should be able to reproduce any colour with ease. Besides, it should be able to sync seamlessly with any ambient music or sounds.
These features are usually highlighted in the product descriptions, so make sure to check them out before purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do the lights last?
Typically, these lights have an operating duration of at least 25,000 to 30,000 hours, which roughly equates to around three years. But this may vary between brands, where some manufacturers claim that their light can run up to 5 years.
It also depends on the usage frequency and maintenance. With judicious usage and proper upkeep, these lights can last for quite a long time.
Can you install these lights in your bathroom?
Yes, you can install these lights in your bathroom too. They can tolerate a bit of water splash without any issues. But to be on the safe side, we suggest keeping them away from water fixtures, such as taps, showers and so on.
Those were some of the best Philips Hue Play Bar alternatives. We hope that this guide will help you come to a decision.
Before we go, we would like to pick our favourite alternatives from the above list. The Philips Hue Gradient Lightstrip is an incredible option that provides vibrant illumination. Besides, it comes in a strip design, which can help change the look of your room. But if you prefer a bar design, then you can go with the Sengled Smart LED Light Bars.
And that’s a wrap. Take care, everyone!