As early as 2007, a number of people reported that air conditioning units were catching fire. At the time, there was no visible cause for this.
A surprising cause was found after further examination of the reports. Namely, the unit’s flag connectors were at fault. To be more precise, experts determined that crimping led to a lack of pressure in the unit. As a result, this left a blank space between the flag connectors. Very soon after, the contact resistance increased in the machines. Finally, the heat rose within, resulting in a fire.
In the aftermath, such accidents highlighted the importance of proper crimping. In essence, the fires happened due to incorrectly soldered wires. Also, crimping involves connecting wires to terminals to form a reliable cable connection. To perform these tasks, one needs the right crimping tool.
To that end, nowadays, many companies enter the market and offer new and better gadgets for such jobs. However, not all items cover all essential factors for a quality tool. For example, buyers should consider the inner build, the wire crimpers, wire gauge, and the overall crimping force. Similarly, you should prefer products that feature an adjustable crimping force.
Hence, these vital points are necessary when picking the best wire crimping tool. Otherwise, you may end up wasting money on faulty heat shrink connectors.
Therefore, we’ve narrowed down the list of the most reliable crimping tools in 2022. At the same time, we’ve provided detailed reviews of the best choices available today.
- 1 The Best Crimping Tool for Electricians: Our Top Pick
- 2 Klein Tools Pass-Thru Modular Wire Crimper VDV226-110
- 3 Best Crimping Tool for Electricians: Electricians Crimping Tool Reviews
- 4 Crimper Plier Set, Preciva
- 5 VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tools
- 6 Klein Tools Ratcheting Insulated Terminal Crimper
- 7 Rolson 20814 Multi-Purpose Crimping Tool
- 8 Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Crimping Tool for Electricians
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Conclusion
The Best Crimping Tool for Electricians: Our Top Pick
- Klein Tools Pass-Thru Modular Wire Crimper VDV226-110 – Top Pick
- Crimper Plier Set, Preciva – Affordable for the Features
- VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tools – Sturdy Build
- Klein Tools Ratcheting Insulated Terminal Crimper – In-built Ratchet for Precision
- Rolson 20814 Multi-Purpose Crimping Tool – Best Durability
Here is a detailed look at each product:
Klein Tools Pass-Thru Modular Wire Crimper VDV226-110
- Product 1: Fast, reliable modular crimp-connector install tool for voice and data applications with Pass-Thru RJ45 connector plugs
- Product 1: All-in-one tool cuts, strips and crimps paired-conductor data cables
- Product 1: Trims flush to end face of connector to eliminate unintended contact between conductors
- Product 1: Crimps and trims Klein Tools RJ45 Pass-Thru connectors
- Product 2: Cable tester with single button testing of RJ11, RJ12 and RJ45 terminated voice and data cables
Klein Tools’ VDV226-110 is an effective wire crimper tool and one of the best wire crimpers available today. As one of the latest products from this popular brand, electricians prefer it for a wide range of crimping-related tasks.
Featuring pass-thru technology, this modular wire crimper tool significantly reduces prep work time. In addition, the exclusive tool wiring diagram eliminates the need for rework and wasted materials, making it highly cost-effective.
For added utility, the VDV226-110 wire crimping tool boasts pass-thru style RJ45 jacks. As a result, this is one of the best wire crimping tools for placing security devices in tight spaces. On top of that, it features replaceable blades, an ergonomic grip, and a compact and ratcheting design. Plus, it is one of the more affordable crimping tools available today.
Furthermore, this professional crimping tool is great for trimming flush at the end face of the insulated electrical connectors. In that way, there’s little risk of sudden contact between the conductors.
Additionally, their unique full-cycle ratcheting mechanism guarantees precise connector termination. Lastly, these top-tier wire crimping tools comprise durable materials, allowing prolonged usage.
- Agile and reliable modular crimp-connectors
- It offers an ergonomic and comfortable grip
- Durable build
- Helpful on-tool wiring guide
- It features a full-cycle ratcheting mechanism
- A wide area of appliances
- Can crimp and trim RJ45 pass-thru connectors
- The handle can not be locked in the down position
- It can’t be used with standard (non-pass through) connectors
Klein Tools is a famous brand that continues to put out useful gadgets for electricians and handymen alike. Currently, their Pass-Thru Modular Wire Crimper VDV226-110 model is the top choice you should consider getting.
Best Crimping Tool for Electricians: Electricians Crimping Tool Reviews
Aside from our top pick, there are four more products of similar use to electricians. These wire crimping tools offer various strong points and are easy to handle. Here are the details.
Crimper Plier Set, Preciva
- Perfect Design and Quality Materials: Wire Ferrule Crimping Tool is a redesigned crimping tool for cable bits. It offers great crimping forces with low hand grip strength, power amplification by lever rocker, reducing fatigue resulting from it, when used repeatedly.
- Ratchet Design: Homogeneous distribution of pastry Delivery guarantees exact profile, crimp for easy handling in tight spaces. Square cable crimping shape for optimal shoe contact.
- Hsc8 6-4 Pliers Plates: Working Device for low ratchet ferrule iron embossing for lugs and 1200 crimp connector. Suitable for insulated and uninsulated terminals bits from 0.25 to 10 mm².
- High precision: the system is automatically the crimping jaws of forced brake to ensure that in the repeated pressure line, to maintain a high quality standard pressure line.
- You deserve the best: Preciva offers you the best crimping tool with our quality product and considerate product.
If you’re looking for a good bit of kit at a truly good price, Preciva’s Crimper Plier Set comes highly recommended. Apart from the handheld crimping tools, the set comprises 1200 crimp connectors. Hence, these crimping tools work well for both professionals and DIYers.
On a related note, the wire cutter offers an excellent grip for precise usage. Also, the set features effective wire strippers, making it a count-worthy crimping tool for electricians.
Furthermore, the Preciva Crimper Plier Set is self-adjustable, meaning the tool will quickly fit in as per the terminal requirements. To that end, it comes with a design that follows the proper crimping diameter. As a result, you can use it for welding cables that are hard to reach.
Featuring a durable and compact structure, this well-performing crimper tool works for both insulated and uninsulated connectors from 0.25 to 10 mm2. This labour-saving and ergonomic ratchet device also boasts a non-slip nylon handle that works on the lever principle.
- Convenient and complete crimp tool kit
- Ergonomic design and a convenient grip
- It comes with 1200 pieces of insulated wiring terminal assortments
- Compact structure and durable build
- Self-adjustable and labour-saving
- Good crimping force
- It takes some getting used to
- Outdated terminals design
This item is another popular Preciva invention offering precision and safety. Plus, it features many modern additions that make it a great all-around choice.
VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tools
- High Quality Ratcheting Wire Crimper: Made from high carbon steel sheet, non-deformable and non-bendable, the PP handle is oil-resistant and easy to use, and the rubber is hardened and blackened to protect it from wear and oxidation.
- Precise Crimping Pliers: high-precision terminal crimping holes, which means that the terminals can be pressed onto the wire without damaging the terminals. Red(0.5 mm² - 1 mm²) , blue(1.5 mm² - 2.5 mm²),yellow(4 mm² - 6 mm²).
- Ratchet structure design: These crimping pliers can be automatically unlocked to shorten the locking time, which can save up to 50% of the required manual pressing pressure. If further progress is not possible, unlock the pressing pliers according to the locking and positioning device.
- Functions of the crimping pliers: Crimping pliers are used to crimp insulated cable lugs, wire end ferrules and coaxial connectors.
- Packaging and After Sales Service: The delivery includes 1x crimping tool, a 18 months guarantee,an invoice including VAT can be issued
This reliable crimping tool is a sturdy alternative for crimping 10 to 22 AWG insulated wires. Made from avant-garde non-deformable and non-bendable carbon steel, VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tool defines durability and ease of use.
For better utility, it comes with an oil-resistant PP handle made from hardened steel. Also, that part features a blackened surface to prevent oxidation and scratches.
The tool’s high-precision terminal crimping holes enable it to press the terminals onto the wire perfectly. Due to such efficacy, many consider it among the best wire crimping tools.
The crimp head of this professional crimping tool unlocks quickly, meaning you can use it right away. This unique feature helps you cut the time needed for the manual pressing in half.
When it comes to consistent crimping, VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tool is a reliable choice. So, you can use it for insulated cable lugs, wires, ferrules, coaxial connectors, etc. In short, it’s a proper wire crimper for an electrician’s tool kit.
- Works on a high-quality ratchet mechanism
- Sturdy built
- It features an auto-unlocking mechanism
- It helps with the manual pressing pressure
- It comes with an oil and oxidation-resistant, easy-to-grip PP handles
- Cable lug crimping
- It features unique terminal crimping holes
- Built-in safety measures
- It doesn’t work with conventional non-insulated brass fasteners.
- More suitable for non-intensive use.
In a nutshell, if you’re looking for a pocket-friendly, sturdy, and well-performing crimping tool, the VCELINK GJ707 Ratchet Crimping Tool offers good value for money.
Klein Tools Ratcheting Insulated Terminal Crimper
- Crimps insulated terminals onto 10-22 AWG stranded copper wire
- Adjustable compound action design puts more crimping power into each squeeze
- Three crimping cavities in one tool: 22–16 AWG (Red), 16–14 AWG (Blue) and 12–10 AWG (Yellow) terminals
- Built-in ratchet ensures full-cycle crimping for a uniform crimp every time
- Unique cavity design provides consistent crimp from either side of the tool
If you are looking for the best handheld crimping tools, Klein Tools is one of the top brands to choose from. Their Ratcheting Insulated Terminal Crimper is a compact and reliable wire crimper.
Featuring an exceptional cavity design, this high-quality wire terminal crimper lets you make consistent crimping from either side of the tool. It features a built-in ratchet that guarantees full-cycle crimping, resulting in a uniform crimp.
As such, it’s another innovative tool that comprises sturdy crimper jaws. It also holds three crimping holes to crimp red (22-16 AWG), yellow (12-10 AWG), and blue (16-14 AWG) terminals.
Due to the adjustable compound action design, it can put more intense crimping power in every squeeze. In addition, its ergonomic handle offers an easy and comfortable grip. If you often work on crimping insulated terminals on 2-stranded copper wires of 10-20 AWG, then consider getting this tool.
- Durable and convenient
- Excellent grip
- Features adjustable compound action design
- It comes with a built-in ratchet for a precise crimp
- It boasts three different crimping holes
- The high precision jaw can crimp beyond its designed range
- It features an adjustable compression wheel
- An efficient ratcheting mechanism
- The grip is plastic, not metal
- The cavity for crimping red terminals (22-16 AWG) is a bit bigger than required
Though the price may appear a bit high, the tool’s efficiency, agility, and convenience make it a good buy. So, if you aim for convenience, you can give this 3-in-1 crimping tool a try.
Rolson 20814 Multi-Purpose Crimping Tool
- Multi purpose crimping tool
- Hardened tool steel
- Easy grip cushion handle
- 5 functions: wire cutter, wire stripper, bolt cutter, crimps insulated and non insulated terminals
- 230mm length
This durable, multi-purpose wire crimper tool offers more crimping power for a very competitive price. Made of toughened, high-carbon steel, this handy tool lets you leverage its efficiency for years.
It boasts a cushioned handle, which protects your hands and allows for a secure crimp. Plus, you can use this gadget as a wire stripper, bolt cutter, and wire crimper. Also, it can easily crimp insulated and non-insulated terminals.
While it’s not an active participant in the contemporary hi-tech race, this versatile tool excels at cutting, stripping, and crimping. Lastly, this wire stripper and crimper will let you crimp terminals to the correct pressure and diameter, eliminating the chances of damage.
- Easy and comfortable grip
- Simple mechanism
- Proper grip
- Versatile gadget
- Hardened steel base
- May require lubrication for certain tasks
- The handles can get stuck
This high-quality tool can easily crimp wires no matter their type. It comprises high carbon steel and a stylish design.
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Crimping Tool for Electricians
When looking for the best wire crimping tool, keep the following criteria in mind:
Number of Crimping Cavities: Crimping cavities determine the versatility of the crimper tool. So, the higher their numbers, the more mileage you can get out of that wire crimper. Therefore, before sealing the deal, consider what you’ll most often use it for. If you are looking for the highest degree of flexibility, you should pick up tools with multiple crimping cavities.
Compatibility: This factor refers to the wire sizes your wire crimping tool can work with. Typically, the wire’s thickness rating is measured in AWG, so the crimping tools are also rated in AWG.
So, inspect the crimper jaws looking for the AWG rating. At the same time, consider the tool’s build for dealing with larger wires and hard-to-reach areas. In that manner, you can strip wires while keeping yourself safe.
Most modern crimping tools generally come with AWG ratings ranging from 10-22. However, you can also come across alternatives with 2-20 AWG ratings.
Durability: If you are a professional electrician, crimping tools are your go-to companions. For this reason, while buying a crimping tool, you must consider its durability.
Investing in lighter crimping tools may not serve your purpose as you may need to change them quite often. On the other hand, for DIY enthusiasts, averagely durable crimping tools may work fine as long as they are used occasionally.
Apart from the mentioned ones, you should also consider your budget. Aside from the cost of the device, inspect the ratcheting mechanism and its versatility.
Frequently Asked Questions
How would I know which crimping tool to use?
The size of a crimping tool is measured using an AWG (American Wire Gauge). Besides, different crimping tools have different crimp profiles. Therefore, while picking up the right crimping tool, you should check its AWG rating, its crimping profile, and the terminals it can crimp (insulated or non-insulated).
Do you need to take precautions while crimping?
These types of jobs require extra caution due to the electrical connection. While crimping, ensure you don’t cut off the wire conductors. Also, ensure that the strands don’t spray apart. Lastly, avoid excessive twisting.
How to clean a crimper?
Water harms all crimping tools. Hence, protect your kit from rain, moisture, and oxidation. On that note, use a soft bristle brush to clean them. Similarly, avoid applying compressed air to your crimping tools.
This guide covers the five most effective wire crimping tools you can find today. So, you can compare their highlights and deduce which is the best ratcheting wire terminal crimper for you. Regardless, all of these wire crimpers are top-tier, meaning they come from reputable and leading companies.
Also, this selection of the best crimping tools for electricians focuses on affordability as well. Hence, a good crimping tool should provide convenience on all fronts. Finally, we aimed to include only durable and multi-purpose items that are also easy to carry in one’s pocket.