The installation of a ceiling fan is one of the few home electrical jobs that can be done by homeowners. It does not require much technical knowledge, but it is always advisable to have DIY information before engaging with the electrical job at hand.
However, some ceiling fan companies recommend the installation to be carried out by licensed electricians, so be sure to check on your ceiling fan brand and model to comply with warranties and regulations.
This article is a how-to guide on the installation process of a ceiling fan. It will specifically discuss the isolation of an existing lighting circuit and the attachment of a ceiling fan to that lighting point.
The installation process for different types of fans will also be discussed, such as: Argos ceiling fan, B&Q ceiling fans and Amazon ceiling fans.
- 1 Ceiling fan installation in a drop ceiling
- 2 Ceiling fans with lights
- 3 Ceiling fan installation FAQs
Argos ceiling fan
Argos ceiling fans are high-quality ceiling fans that are sold in the UK. They are excellent in providing a cool breeze and are much quieter than other ceiling fan brands.
In order to install an Argos ceiling tan, the following steps must be followed:
- Install the mounting plate first by removing the screws on the ceiling canopy before attaching the mountain plate to a ceiling joint. The mounting plate should be strong enough to support the weight of the ceiling fan.
- Install the fan by temporarily attaching it to the mounting plate while you work on the wire connections.
- After rewiring the connections, remove the fan from its temporary attachment. Slide the bayonet slots on the ceiling canopy to the mounting plate.
- Connect the ceiling fan to the existing wiring circuit. Practice safety by ensuring that electricity is switched off before making the connections.
- Blue or black (neutral) should be connected to the N terminal
- Brown or red (live) to the L terminal
- Green/yellow (earth) to the terminal marked with a symbol
- Assemble the fan blades to the blade holder arms and then attach the blade holder arms to the fan motor housing by utilizing two screws.
B&Q ceiling fan
B&Q is another UK-based ceiling fan brand that is much preferred by many UK household owners.
The process of installing a B&Q ceiling fan is not much different from the installation process of Argos ceiling fans.
Amazon ceiling fans
Amazon offers a wide selection of ceiling fans from branded to off-brand ones. The installation process is generally the same with an Argos or B&Q ceiling fan as for any ceiling fan can be fixed to any ceiling. Attention should be given to the correct usage of fixtures.
If you are unsure, it is best to consult with the installation manual included with your Amazon ceiling fan.
Ceiling fan installation in a drop ceiling
A drop ceiling, also known as a suspended ceiling, is a unique feature in some houses. The installation of a ceiling fan to a drop ceiling requires extra steps on top of the process mentioned above for regular roof.
- Make the joist accessible by removing tiles from the drop ceiling. Set a fan gang box on top of the area where you plan to install the ceiling fan.
- Connect the wires of the ceiling fan to the fan gang box. Feed a pipe through the set gang box and measure the intersection in relevance to the suspended ceiling grid.
- Cut a hole through the area where you have removed the tiles. Slide a ceiling fan extension tube through the hole. Use this hole to insert your wiles through. Put back the tiles and screw the tube back on.
- Install the remainder of the fan as you would to a regular ceiling.
Ceiling fans with lights
The installation of a ceiling fan with the light fixture is the same process as a standard ceiling fan without any lights. However, after the assembly of the blades, you will check for speed control and install the light fixtures.
- Screw on lightbulbs to the lamp holders.
- Hand tighten the screws to secure the land shade.
- The switch of the light is through the available pull chain.
Ceiling fan installation FAQs
Are ceiling fans difficult to install?
In general, the installation process of a ceiling fan is simple. The basic methods of a ceiling fan installation are as follows: reconnection of wires, temporary attachment of the fan to the ceiling and attaching of the fan to the mounting plate and assembly of the plates. These are all relatively simple.
The challenge lies in the awkward position that you would have to install the ceiling. If you are working on high ceilings with insufficient ladders, you would need to be constantly looking up. This is why it is encouraged for you to know about the installation process before actually installing the ceiling fan.
How can I make a ceiling fan quieter?
The noise that a ceiling fan makes is relative to the brand and make. You can buy ceiling fans that are specifically made to produce less noise. However, some tips listed below will help lessen the sound that a ceiling fan creates.
- Tighten the blades — if the blades are loose, it will undoubtedly make noise as it is thrown off balance. Loose blades clink with nearby hardware causing the noise.
- Clean the blades — when dust collects on the blades, this will create a heavy film that will cause imbalance to the blades. It causes noise for the same reason that loose blades do.
- Tighten the lights — in general, loose parts such as bulbs or light fixtures are the noise culprits. If tightening the parts isn’t enough, you may use rubber “silencer” bands to reduce the friction.
How much does it cost to run a ceiling fan?
The cost of running a ceiling fan (and any appliance for that matter) depends on the wattage and hours of usage. Ceiling fans range from 25 to 75 watts, and the average price of a unit of power is at £0.016.
running cost = (cost of the unit of energy)(average watt of a fan)
- A 25-watt ceiling fan would cost £0.004
- A 75-watt ceiling fan would cost £0.012
With this information, you can easily install a ceiling fan, no matter the type or additional features.
This article covered the installation process of different types of fans and answered some of the frequently asked questions about ceiling fans and ceiling fans installations. Please leave a comment if you enjoyed the article or want to know more about a specific subject.