Static electricity, also known as electrostatic discharge, is a common phenomenon that we often experience in our daily lives.
You might remember the amusement of walking across a carpet and touching someone to give them a shock, or rubbing a balloon on your clothes to make it stick to the wall.
However, when it comes to electronic devices like your PC, static electricity is no laughing matter.
What Happens if Your PC Gets Static Electricity?
An electrostatic discharge (ESD) can occur through a process known as triboelectrification, which is a type of contact electrification caused by friction between two different materials.
The human body is capable of storing and conducting small amounts of electric voltage, often without us even noticing.
For instance, simply walking across a rug can produce a static electricity voltage of up to 12,000 volts.
While this static voltage is not life-threatening to us, it could be threatening to the internal components of a computer, laptop, mobile phone, and other electronic devices.
Can Static Break a Motherboard?
The inner workings of our computers are extremely vulnerable to static electricity.
The simple act of touching any circuitry, or plugging in a peripheral while you have stored voltage on your fingertips, can be fatal to your computer.
It is even possible to damage your computer with static electricity that you can’t even feel because it is at such a low voltage.
The damage to your computer from an electrostatic discharge can range from a simple plug-and-play device not working anymore, to completely shorting out your entire computer.
A static shock can be instant, or it can take days to weeks to actually settle in and cause any noticeable damage.
How Bad is Static When Building a PC?
When you’re building your PC, static shocks could be dangerous for your computer parts.
A small static shock is enough to destroy your parts.
Luckily, there are things you can do to safely work in your PC.
Wear an antistatic wrist strap and work on a solid surface, for example.
Can Static Electricity Break Electronics?
Yes, static electricity can break electronics.
The good news is that ruining your computer with static is completely preventable.
Carpet can be a computer’s worst nightmare, right up there with an accidental liquid spill.
You should always try to place the computer’s tower on a shelf or table, rather than directly on the carpet.
This goes for laptops too: Setting your laptop on a carpeted floor while working on it can not only cause overheating, it can cause an ESD between the flooring and the case.
Also, if you are doing some maintenance on your computer and have the case open, it is best to do your work on an anti-static mat or any other non-conducting surface, like a wooden workbench, keeping the insides of your computer away from potential bursts of static.
Speaking of anti-static, an anti-static wrist strap would help keep that static from your body away from any sensitive components when you’re working with them.
The strap will keep you grounded, and discharged.
Besides, better safe than sorry, right?
Though electrostatic discharges may sound particularly intimidating, they’re completely avoidable if you take the proper precautions.
Insights from Online Discussions
Online discussions reveal a wealth of information about the impact of static electricity on PCs.
Many users share personal experiences of hardware damage due to static, while others offer tips on how to prevent static damage.
There’s also a detailed explanation of static electricity and its potential effects on electronic devices.
Guides on how to prevent a static shock while building your PC and how to discharge static electricity for safe computer upgrading are also available.
Static electricity can indeed break a PC and other electronic devices.
However, with the right precautions, such as grounding yourself, using an anti-static wrist strap, and avoiding static surfaces, you can safely build and maintain your PC without fear of static damage.
Whether you’re in the UK or the US, these principles remain the same, underscoring the universal nature of static electricity and its potential impact on our electronic devices.
Thanks for reading. Goodbye and see you next time!